February 17, 2011

Big shift of games to mobile platforms

It has happened. The move that many have envisioned has already happened; it was just in the last couple months.

The speed of change is unbelievable. Just half a year ago, the only games you could play on phones where casual games like Robo Defense or Doodle Jump.
Then, in October 2010, first news of real hardcore game on Android came: Dungeon Defenders, the first game on 3D Unreal engine, was announced.

In December, I found The Sims 3 in Android Market. What is interesting, is that price for it was €3.77; for the PC version of The Sims 3 I had to pay 10 times more, and it wasn't 10 times better. Since then, Electronic Arts published mobile versions of such mainstream games as Need for Speed and FIFA 10; you can get them for a few bucks, immediately, without paying for delivery and waiting for DHL guy to show up at your doorstep. Two days ago, I discovered Majesty: Fantasy Kingdom Sim in the Market for just £2; I immediately bought it and was not disappointed - it is almost exactly the same game as I paid £23 for a year ago, just modified for a touch screen and available to play in tram and while walking on the street.

I had Android phones for years, and never saw any game that I would really enjoy for long - just because casual games are not for me. But the change has come. I just found Pro Evolution Soccer 2011OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 to add to non-casual games.

There are few "real" games on Android yet. But since some of them are here, no doubt there will be many more this year. What's next? Civilization, Counter-Strike, Europa Universalis, Fallout?
A full-fledged mobile game, compared to a PC / Console game:

  1. Doesn't require delivery (postal or via Steam) 
  2. Doesn't take space on your shelves
  3. Doesn't force you to spend $200 on desktop operating system
  4. Is always with you - when you are in tram, in security line in an airport, or when your desktop is occupied by a family member
  5. Impossible to lose - the purchase status is in the cloud
  6. Has no DRM problems
  7. Auto-updates automatically
  8. Costs 5-10 times less
The only negative is the smaller screen, but this is being alleviated by upcoming tablets that have a resolution much better than I used to play HoMM 2 on.

What's interesting is to see how game-related industries are adapting to this. Big US game portal IGN already has a special iPhone section, but no Android section yet. Russian game portal AG ignores mobile platforms for now. I wonder, would game-reviewing portals be able to maintain relevance? When the price of the game is less than a bottle of beer, I'm just buying it after reading a few comments, I don't need to spend 10 minutes reading a full review.

Everything is so fast in IT now. Just a couple months and ... I'm not sure I will be buying PC games this year.

Comments 0 comments

Post a Comment

About Me

Ihar Mahaniok

Software Engineer at Google.
Information geek.
Originally from Minsk, Belarus.
Now living in Zürich, Switzerland.

ihar@mahaniok.com
@mahaniok on Twitter


Subscribe to my blog in Google Reader, by e-mail, or add [info]mahaniok_en to Livejournal friends.

Or just follow me on Buzz and Twitter, I post updates there:

Follow on Buzz

Friend Connect Readers

You are welcome to join.

My Friendfeed Profile Me on the Web

Twitter


Friendfeed

Disclaimer

My posts or my opinions don't necessarily reflect the position of my employer.